Friday 4 April 2014

Project 1 - Cutlery - Ideas

Duck! Hehe, just kidding..


Alright, this honestly slipped my mind so I'm playing a bit of catch up. Sorry bloggers!

If you've been watching my blog, you'll see that I had to design my own cutlery as part of a Uni project. Since then it's been finished up, for the most part. I'll be posting up my sketches, inspirations and the final idea over the next few posts so I don't mix it up with Project 2!

The Inspiration

To start, I struggled to get an idea for my cutlery. I started to panic and I was rather confused but I decided to stick to my most favourite things. I kept with the idea of games. The main games I focused on for this project were League of Legends (Riot Games) Mabinogi (Nexon & Devcat) Oblivion and Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks, Elder Scrolls Series), with a few add ins from my fascination into Celtic Mythology, and Demonic artwork.


League of Legends has a wide variety of champion characters to choose from, so I decided to texture the cutlery around their appearance and skills. This seemed to be my most focused on idea because of how much variety was provided to me from the game.


Mabinogi has a few characters that have the details to inspire a range like cutlery. I chose the Gods because of their outfits and general personalities. The idea of making winged handles made me buzz with excitement. Which then leads onto the Celtic designs, based on the idea of the knot artwork.


Oblivion and Skyrim speak for themselves, if you know the games at all. If not, then WHY NOT? These games have so many unique qualities that just scream at you to create something deadly and beautiful. How could I not answer a cry like that? <3

The smaller targets are based on my love for Supernatural things, strange and wonderful. So, with all this out of the way let's go into a bit more detail of how they made their own designs.

The Output: Dragon and Lady Gaga~

Keeping with things strange and wonderful, how can you not include Miss Lady Gaga? That woman is the very definition of weird. I wanted to use her outfits and video concepts to create her own bizarre range of cutlery.

I do like the sketches I came up with, however I don't feel, personally, that the designs fit my overall idea for a final product. So, they stayed as sketches.



Dragons, dragons, dragons. I love these scaled lizards with wings and fire breathing abilities. Sadly, I don't think a fork breathing fire onto your steak is exactly a great Healthy and Safety piece. However, wrapping the scaley beast around a handle in a comfortable fashion would have worked rather well. I tried to draw out the idea but I struggled to make it look right, even after looking up some already created designs.

Looking forward, the Dragon design could be hard to model in 3DS Max so it's maybe a good idea that the idea stays at the sketching stays and doesn't progress much further. I'd be heartbroken if I developed it out fully then struggled to get even started modeling something so complex and highly detailed.



Demonic Knock-up

I ain't afraid of no Ghost!

I just had to add that in somewhere.
As I mentioned, I have a soft spot for weird demonic species. All different types like in the TV Series Supernatural, the book series Demonata by Darren Shan, All horror films, and the game series Elder Scrolls.


I wanted to try and put the skeletal textures into my designs, look at creating the cutlery out of bones instead of plastic and metallic materials. The rough skin texture behind demonic creatures, the horror factor and gory aspect is something I wanted to highlight in these designs. I think I did alright!


What happens next?

I'll take these rough concepts and develop them a little further, and continue to create new ideas with a little more of a solid concept in mind as I continue through this first project. We've got the rough ideas and inspirations, so let's push the boat out a little further shall we?

More Champions and detail next time around, as I build up towards my ultimate weap-- Cutlery Design!

Watch this Space~! <3

  My Twitter  |  My DeviantART  |  My Tumblr  |  My Pinterest  

No comments:

Post a Comment