Sunday 23 February 2014

Tutorial Personal #1 - Bottle: Part 1

It's Sunday~ Sunday~

Alright! Instead of giving you a class summary of a model this week. I've looked at Justin's tutorial at how to make a bottle. This will be split in two, the first bit will contain my process of making the bottle and the second part will contain making and attaching the screw cap feature.

Firstly, due to the nature of this model I set up my units for cm instead of mm. This was due to a trial and error and I found the mm setup harder to work with considering the model's dimensions in reality. The dimensions of the bottle itself are 244mm in height, and 57mm in radius. Then the neck of the bottle is 30mm in height and 12.5mm in radius.

I created 2 cylinders with those dimentions then I had to move the smaller one to the top of the bigger cylinder. I snapped it to the center then moved it to sit on the top surface by setting the z axis to 24.4 cm. Pretty easy so far!

I then want to group both items into an assembly. So, I select both cylinders and go to Group -> Assembly -> Assemble. Now, we want to change the properties of the entire object by right clicking and selecting object properties. We can make the object see-through, and freeze it so that it doesn't move while we're editing it. Like so:

Ice, ice baby~

Then I worked on the geometry of the bottle. Basically, the cylinders worked as a sketch from us to work from in order to create the bottle completely from scratch using the line tool! I used a variety of fillets and one bezier to create the outline of the bottle. I added in some new vertices to give it a more organic shape because it looked a little boring. I added more form at the bottom and top, and an indent for a label (if it was to be made into a physical product.


I removed the cylinders behind the geometry. Then set a Lathe command on my spline. It came out weird to start with, but that's easily fixed by using the tools set in the modify panel. Fix that up then add a shell command to give the bottle a little more depth, like a proper bottle compared to being paper thin and unusable.

By going into the Line option in the modifier panel, I could adjust any deformed lines to define the shape perfectly. Lucky enough I didn't have any problems with my lines. The next step is adding a Helix for the screw cap. That's a separate tutorial so I'll write it up separately.

But so far, here is my bottle!~ <3



Watch this space~ <3


  My DeviantART  |  My Twitter  |  My Pinterest  |  My Tumblr  

No comments:

Post a Comment