Thursday 6 February 2014

Tutorial - Week #1 The Mobile Phone!

Alrighty!~

Second week, first proper modelling tutorial. Slightly nervous but excited. I've always wanted to learn how to model, and here's my opportunity.

Work in Progress!
Doesn't look like much of a phone!
This week, we're making a pretty simple Mobile Phone. I'll post a link to the tutorial at the bottom of each post for those who want to give it a try themselves.

I found it difficult to follow Justin's instructions throughout the class, but I did manage to get it done eventually. As he went through it, I wrote down the key points he was making and when I have time I want to go through the tutorials I found I really struggled with and try them out again to see how I've improved over the weeks!


In this class we learned how the basics, really. How to use simple modifiers, edit an object to specific dimensions, intersecting shapes and cutting one through the other. We used Shell, and created a fillet around the object. We made an Array of circular shapes. It might sound simple but I've never used 3DS Max before so it was quite an achievement for me!
The model I produced wasn't quite as accurate as Justin's, I think I messed up on the section about Layers and choosing the active but that's something I can improve on over time. Just like Photoshop. When I started, I couldn't understand layers and adding new layers seemed like a big hassle but I recently painted a picture using 80-odd layers. Isn't that mad?


So, here's the model I managed to get out of this weeks lesson. It's more of a case then an actual mobile phone. That's to do with the layers part where I messed up. Working on different layers and everything wasn't quite in the right place. But next week, I'll aim to improve. I can only get better and for me this is a big personal achievement.

Many Thanks to Justin and my peers for the support. :)

Watch this Space! <3


  My Tumblr  |  My DeviantART  |  My Pinterest  

No comments:

Post a Comment